2016 witnessed yet another sensational Black Friday and Cyber Monday saga as shoppers splurged record sums of money across retail channels both offline and online. Let’s keep our focus to the eCommerce side where 2016 saw some records being rewritten. Primarily those records were for eCommerce transactions via mobile phones or to be more specific mCommerce. There were reports suggesting that many online stores were ill equipped to handle the huge peak in mobile traffic and consumers were frustrated with low grade mobile sites but when you look at sales percentage, Adobe reports that nearly 36% of all online sales revenue for Black Friday 2016 came through mobile phones.
Though PC’s drove more sales, the traffic volume was higher from mobile screens 55 percent of traffic to retail sites were from mobile screens. Tablet PC’s occupied only a fraction of the mobile traffic and the competition was predominantly between iPhones and Android powered mobile phones. Black Friday 2016 also witnessed for the first time that mobile sales revenue alone surpassed $1 billion on a single day.
For retailers, this is a wake-up call as their reluctance to offer crispier mobile experiences to shoppers will cost them dearly in market share. If you were to ask us for the exact areas to focus on, in order to deliver a seamless cross channel experience for your shoppers, the below would be our picks:
- Responsive websites
- Light weight mobile sites
- Shopping Apps across all popular platforms
- Mobile centric marketing campaigns via emails
As days pass by the shopping season is only going to get hotter and online retailers who haven’t drawn up elaborate plans for mCommerce need to catch up with their app engineers or software vendors to put some great mobile experiences in place.
- 5 best practices to help your eCommerce site win big in 2017
- Smartphone Usage Trends in Holiday Shopping(Infographic)
- Future Proofing E-Commerce for the Mobile Era
- Digital Transformation: Creation of a New World Order
- Cyber Security and eCommerce in 2017: 4 areas you should invest to strengthen your defence
- 5 tips to drive more sales on mobile screens this holiday season
- How to convert first time buyers into long term buyers this holiday season
- This holiday season make your email campaigns livelier with videos
- Key Challenges Ahead for E-Commerce
- Top Internet Trends From Mary Meeker To Consider at IRCE 2016