Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a critical factor for an eCommerce website just like any other website. SEO will provide more visibility to the website irrespective of its niche or the products/services it offers. Today, we will be providing with some useful SEO tips for your eCommerce website, however it is not limited to eCommerce.
- Simple URL’s for Products and Categories: Change your URL’s of the products and categories with keywords instead of ID’s and other parameters.
- Use unique Keyword Meta tags: Meta tags and descriptions should be related to the particular product page and must be unique. Also, avoid stuffing keywords and putting unnecessary keywords.
- Start Blogging: Blogging not only improves your website ranking and page ranking, due to fresh contents, but also help you to provide updates to customers, conversations with them and most importantly understanding the latest trends in shopping.
- Product Reviews: This is another way to generate unique contents that too from your customers.
- RSS feed for products: RSS feed is a great way to get free back links to your product pages. Google Base is an excellent content aggregator that accepts product feeds in XML and displays your results for Google Base searches.
- Product Tagging: Proliferation of Social Media has triggered the use of ‘tagging’. You can leverage that by allowing the customers to tag products with their own keywords. This may help you in getting good ranking for ‘slang-based keywords’.
- Image Optimization: All you product images must contain unique ‘alt text attributes’. There will be a surge in traffic from Google Image search by populating the alt text with product and brand name.
- Internal Search Optimization: There is a possibility that some of your customers will land on your website through Google search and they would expect the same quality when they search for products within your ecommerce website.
- Usage of Cross sell/up sells: Create sections for linking to other products within your product pages. This will help you to pass on the page rankings to other pages.
- Use good Site Map: Site maps are helpful for customers to finding a specific product or category and also help the search engines to crawl your website faster. So Site maps are helpful for both customers and search engines.
These are some of the good practices tested and used by several successful companies. You are free to experiment with your optimization as SEO is a vast topic. You will have try out different strategies to become successful in SEO, so keep experimenting!